- Managing Member
Liam G.B. Murphy graduated from Brown University in 1985 with Honors in Economics and from New York University Law School in 1988. He has practiced law for over twenty years in large and small firms. He now lives in Tompkins County with his wife and children.
Mr. Murphy is admitted to practice in New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware as well as the federal courts in each state. From 2000-2012, he was the principal attorney of Ward & Murphy Law Firm. He combined his practice with that of William R. Shaw in 2012. He is admitted into the Tompkins, New York and American Bar Associations.
He has experience in both trying cases and arguing appeals in large and small cases. He also is trained in Collaborative Law, offering clients the choice of focusing on their concerns rather than only pursuing a particular position.
Mr. Murphy practices in all areas needed by families, from organizing family businesses, to Domestic Relations & Custody/Visitation and Support, defending criminal actions, pursuing lawsuits when needed and buying and selling Real Estate.
Mr. Murphy is active in the community and youth and education programs.
Areas Of Practice
- General Corporate Representation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Not-for-Profit & Greek Organizations
- Estate Planning & Administration
- Criminal Defense
- Matrimonial/Family Matters
- Civil Litigation in State and Federal Courts
- Collaborative Law
- New York, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1988
- Brown University
- A.B. Economics, with honors - 1985
- London School of Economics, London
- Michaelmas Term - 1983
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tompkins County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association (Member), Collaborative Law Committee (Member); Empire State Counsel (2008-present)
- Ithaca Area Collaborative Professionals, Member
- Estate Planning Council of Tompkins County, Member